Friday, December 10, 2010

chalkboard wish list - day 3 of the 12 crafty days of christmas

well, i was going to post this yesterday, but you know how this time of year is...
yesterday was crazy!

so let me tell you a little something about myself.

i love lists!
there is no way i could make it through my life without making about 100 lists a day. 
i kinda even have master lists of my different kinds of lists. i guess it's the accountant in me.
(it's also seems to be the most effective way to organize all the mush that is swirling around in my brain.)

evidently, i've passed this trait down to my slightly flighty oldest daughter.
bless her heart, she is definitely the type who would leave her own head at home 
if it wasn't literally attached to her body.
i can say all of this because she absolutely gets all of this directly from her mother (i.e. ME!)

so this week, as i was making my 2000th list of all the things i need to get done 
and while i was picking up one of the 200 lists my daughter has made of things she really hopes she might see under the tree on christmas morning,
i came up with this idea.

a chalkboard wish list!
especially good for those kids who keep changing their minds!

here's what you need:

piece of plywood (i used 12x24), red chalkboard paint, foam brushes, wooden snowflake shapes, white paint, white glitter and glitter glue. plus some ribbon to hang it with. (i got all of my supplies at joanns.)



first, follow the instructions on the chalkboard paint. i painted two coats onto my plywood. i bought a long piece of plywood so the kids each had room to write some things.


in between coats of the chalkboard paint, i painted my wooden snowflakes white and then glittered them. 
(i think i might be falling in love with using glitter!)



after all of that was dry and had plenty of time to cure, i hot glued my snowflakes to my "list".


i was really liking it at this point. 
my idea was to write "christmas wish list" at the top with a green paint pen, but when i did it, i didn't like it
 AT ALL! 
the green was all wrong! so i mulled it over and just decided to paint over it and try again with black or leave it blank.
 however, when i painted over it, i couldn't cover it up! it just turned the green a greyish color.
after living with it a little bit, it's kind of growing on me. i'm a shabby chic kind of girl and i like that it sort of makes it look worn. 
still not sure yet if i'm going to leave it that way for good.

what do you guys think?


to hang it, i just hot glued some fun ribbon and a bow to the top and used one of those command hooks on my pantry door. very easy removal once christmas is over.

so today's craft was kind of an experiment of sorts. that happens. 
with some crafts, i absolutely love the final product and others, all i can do is think of how i would do it differently next time. 
not sure where this one falls on the spectrum.

the most important thing, however, is that my kids will love writing a list for santa...
 and for their momma and daddy! 

(especially my spaghetti brained, list loving daughter!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment